2016 Year End Review and 2017 Preview

Happy New Year! I've been reading a lot of posts on Facebook about how 2016 was a really tough year for a lot of people. It was tough for me too. I'm still struggling to accept the results of November's election and am scared for my friends and family that will be impacted by the actions and policies of the Trump Administration. Particularly, I'm fearful for immigrants, the LGBT community, women rights (and access to healthcare), and not to mention the impact on our energy, environment, healthcare, and international policies. I won't go as far to say that I'm cautiously optimistic, but I am hoping for the best.

With all that said, my year has been busy, hard, rewarding, comical, and full of love. At work, I welcomed two new "bosses" (I have a dual reporting line) all while adjusting to a new routine for Cinderella as she headed off to kindergarten (proud mama). Then there is The Babe doing what The Babe does best (not sleeping, sleeping, waking up early, getting sick, talking, and moving around like a little lightening bolt). We've managed to visit family and friends--near and far, and I celebrated a dear friend's 40th birthday in Mexico a few weeks ago. So blessed and grateful. My dad's life motto is, "work hard, play hard, win" and he instilled this spirit in me. One thing he failed to mention is that doing all of that takes a lot of work and is exhausting but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyway, enough of me blabbing on about my year. Let's talk about the HOUSE!


We didn't see as many home improvements as in previous years, but we saw some of the biggest and bad-assest! Of course there was the exterior getting painted. HUGE!

We swapped dining room windows for french doors.

And, just recently replaced our monster furnace.

The beginning of the year brought a more organized mudroom and a new second floor light too.

And, we did our share of gardening and landscaping outside with new roses, side yard plantings, and another summer garden.


We have so much to be thankful for at the end of 2016, but like usual, I have BIG plans for next year.

Namely, a kitchen renovation! For the past three years, I've been pinning away on Pinterest and following designers on Instagram. I think I finally found my inspiration kitchen. What do you think?

Elizabeth Lawson Design via Houzz.
Another 2017 project is to build a deck so we can start entertaining friends and family in our backyard. It will also help us map out the backyard landscaping plans. Here are a few inspo pics:
Deck Made to Entertain:
As always, I will do my best to keep you all updated on our progress so you can share in our journey as we renovate our (not so new anymore) old home and I send my best wishes to you for a really great 2017!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is a BIG ONE! Laundry Room and 1/2 Bath Reno

The Adventures of Grand Master Bath!