Goodbye Mellow Yellow, Part 2.

One month later and a lot of progress has been made on the kitchen. Ugh, but it's not done. We are inching toward the finish line. OF COURSE it always takes twice as long as you originally plan.

After the cabinet doors and drawers were in, Tom and Nate took out their aggression the counters and back splash. By far it was the most gratifying as well as messy part of the reno. We are so lucky to have talented and amazing people in our world. Tom and his lovely wife, Betty, are our neighbors who have renovated/restored several homes. (They also give us fresh chicken eggs and figs from their tree) They gave us the confidence that we could take out the counters ourselves and even offered to help. While they worked, I pulled out all my mom-tricks to keep the girls occupied outside.

In process pics:




After pics:


Once we got it all cleaned-up, Jesus began patching and prepping the walls and trim.

Here is a side by side of post-electrician/pre-Jesus and then post-Jesus.

 Here is another side by side of post-electrician electric switch and after Jesus patched it.

I knew I wanted the upper cabinets and walls to be Snowbound by Sherwin Williams because that's the color of the trim throughout the house. I also knew that having an all-white kitchen would be impractical for our family so I wanted dark cabinets on the bottom.

I found this kitchen on Houzz as my "design inspiration" though the cabinets were a little more gray and I wanted a more classic navy.

We tested Anchors Aweigh by Sherwin Williams and the more coats we applied the more I loved it.


While there was a lot of work going on IN the kitchen, there was also a lot of work happening at Jesus' house. He sent me the progress pictures of our cabinet and drawer doors.

If I remember correctly, each door/drawer front has something like four coats of paint plus two coats of clear coat.

The painting ended up taking an extra week, so we finally had the electricians come in and the missing four drawers installed by the cabinet maker. On to the next chapter of the reno...lights and counters! We also made a very big decision on flooring...More to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is a BIG ONE! Laundry Room and 1/2 Bath Reno

The Adventures of Grand Master Bath!